Monday, December 19, 2005

Barca set a new record and go two points clear of Osasuna

So I moved out of my place on Saturday and for the next few weeks I'm broadbandless and ntl:less (though Sky Digital will ride to the rescue over the Xmas break) and thus I'll be a little out of the loop on all matters FCB for a while.

Anyway, Barca beat the rather hopeless Cadiz 3-1 on Saturday evening, Eto'o and Giuly scored the goals and Messi was once again sensational (he was given a standing ovation by the Cadiz fans). The win makes it 12 in a row and sets a new club record.

The next game is against Celta (who were walloped 0-3 at home by Depor on the weekend) at the Camp Nou tomorrow evening which I may just get to see if I can duck out of our Christmas party. Celta are in a rather poor run of form of late, having only beaten bottom club Betis in the past month, though they are still in 8th and have a decent defence (Matias Lequi, Diego Placente and Pablo Contreras are all decent) though they're quite blunt up front, scoring just 18 goals in 16 games.

Celta are a solid side who will probably finish about 10th after being promoted to La Primera Liga this season. Though considering how few goals they've scored I'm surprised that Daniel de Ridder (who arrived in the summer from Ajax) hasn't seen more of a run out (he's made five appearences as substitute) as I don't think he's injured. From what I've heard of de Ridder he's very much in the Van Der Vaart mould (in the playing sense, not that he's a gobby tosser) and I've read some rave reviews of his performances last season in addition to seeing some videos where he looks like quite the fancy dan with his excessive step overs and pointless flicks. Actually maybe Christano Ronaldo is a better comparison...

No comments: