Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Panathinaikos game

Barca play in Greece tonight after Saturdays collapse at the Riazor and whatever of a win, I'm hoping for a clean sheet. From having the best defence in La Liga last season, thus far, after seven games and ten goals conceeded, they have one of the worst.

Oleguer has been playing poorly (both at right back and in the centre) and Rijkaards decission to persist with and out-of-sorts Edmilson in the holding midfield role ahead of Marquez has meant that he has had little protection. I'd like to see both Oleguer and Edmilson dropped to the bench with Marquez coming in alongside Puyol and Mark Van Bommel (who's been fantastic in the two games I've seen him play) in midfield, behind Xavi and Deco.

With his situation in La Liga still up in the air, I'd expect Messi to come in from the start for Giuly. He was quite superb in the game against Udine.

I should catch the highlights late tonight so I'll post a match report of sorts here in the morning.

No comments: